With actions to be implemented over the next five years, the Strategy set a general direction of travel for government policy in relation to the volunteers and the volunteering environment.
The Irish government has presented the National Volunteering Strategy (2021-2025) in order to recognise, support and promote the unique value and contribution of volunteers to Irish society and to acknowledge how important volunteering is to the well-being of the nation.
The Strategy sets out a long-term vision for volunteering, the actions to be implemented over the next five years and a general direction of travel for government policy in relation to the volunteers and the volunteering environment.
The role of voluntary sector has been crucial in the drafting of the Strategy. The community development, local development, community and voluntary, business and local government sectors have taken part in this ambitious strategy to support partnership and collaborative effort at all levels and between all stakeholders, comprising five high level objectives and 56 associated actions to support communities, their representative organisations, and the community and voluntary sector.
This Strategy seeks to develop and enhance the role of the volunteer and encourage volunteering as a means of developing vibrant communities. It will provide the framework and the building blocks to realise this vision, through the implementation of the following strategic objectives:
- Strategic Objective 1: To increase participation and diversity in volunteering including embracing new trends and innovation
- Strategic Objective 2: To facilitate, develop and support the Volunteering Environment so that it contributes to vibrant and sustainable communities
- Strategic Objective 3: To recognise, celebrate and communicate the value and impact of volunteers and volunteering in all its forms
- Strategic Objective 4: To promote ethical and skills-based international volunteering to deliver results for beneficiaries and to enhance Global Citizenship in Ireland
- Strategic Objective 5: To improve policy coherence on volunteering across Government both nationally and locally
If you are interested in more information, you can take a look at the Strategy.